A super quick recipe for grilled calamari steak over a thick slice of grilled polenta
THANK YOU Colavita for all the delicious and amazing products!
Grilling a calamari steak is super easy. A few minute each side, and the job is done.
The polenta is as easy, but you need to prepare it ahead of time and let it cool down on a baking sheet. When cold, you cut the polenta in squares and grill. Remember not to try to flip it on the grill too soon. It will break and it will be messy. So make sure to wait until the dark grilling lines appear, and the polenta will easily peel off the grill.
Here is the recipe:
For the polenta:
- 4 cups (16 fl oz, 475 ml) of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of Colavita instant polenta (cornmeal)
- 4 calamari steak (squid), about 1.25 lb (560 gr)
- one bunch of fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoons of Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of Colavita garlic infused olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Colavita balsamic vinegar of Modena
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
1. Bring 4 cups (475 ml) of water to a boil. Add one teaspoon of salt and one tablespoon of Colavita extra virgin olive oil.
2. When the water starts to boil, slowly add 1 cup Colavita polenta flour, while whisking.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and continue whisking for about 3 minutes or so, or until the polenta starts to thickens, and reaches the desired consistency.
4. Pour the polenta on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. I used a 9x13 in cookie sheet . Level as much as you can. Let it cool off for one hour or more.
5. Cut the polenta in squares and grill. Grill each side about 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat. Before turning the slice make sure there are dark marks on the side. If the polenta is sticking to the grill it means it's too early to flip. When the marks are there and the polenta is properly grilled and will easily peel off. Keep warm while you prepare the rest of the dish.
6. In a bowl, place the parsley, the garlic infused olive oil, the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Process quickly until well blended.
7. When ready to eat, cut the calamari steak in half (if necessary and based on the size of the polenta squares), drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill the calamari steak, over medium-high heat, for about 3 minutes on each side.
8. Place the grilled calamari over a slice of grilled polenta. Drizzle with the parsley sauce.