Wholesome, moist and soft cake filled with fresh blueberries and juicy peach slices
Since my last post I've been debating about my favorite fruit for baking. Sunshine sweet and drip-down-your-chin juicy peaches? OR deliciously healthy, anti-oxidants and nutrients packed, cute little blueberries?!?
Hmm... Because I really can't make up my mind, today I use both. Not in crumble bars, but a delicate and healthy upside-down cake.
Take a look!
Every slice of this cake explodes with sweet blueberries in the middle and soft peach slices on top. I mix the blueberries in the batter for an even distribution throughout the cake. And I layer the peach slices on the bottom of the pan with almond slices and coarse sugar, for a super moist top. That's what I love most about upside-down cake. The juice released by the fruit while baking is trapped at the bottom of the pan. When you flip the cake (after it cools down a bit) you discover a wet and mouthwatering top.
Now check out the ingredients: no butter in this recipe. Just some yogurt and vegetable oil, to give richness and moisture to the cake. And not too much sugar, to add to the natural sweetness of the fruit. Perfect, right?!
I can't imagine an afternoon by the pool without a nutritious and healthy snack for the kids. And this cake is just what you need. The recipe is quite fast (ready in an hour) and simple (you really have to try hard to mess this up). Just follow the simple directions below and you will end up with a delicious homemade snack that your family will love.
I could really eat a slice of this. Every. Single. Afternoon.
Wait, why not for breakfast too?! Before it's all gone, I need to hide a slice in my secret spot for tomorrow morning.
... the very top shelf in the snacks cabinet, behind some boxes, where I keep all my chocolate. And shhhhh! It's our secret now :)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (100 gr) of sugar
- 1 cup (7 oz, 200 gr) of plain greek yogurt
- 1 tespoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) of vegetable oil
- 2 cups (300 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablepsoon (16 gr) of baking powder
- 6 oz (170 gr) of fresh blueberries
- 2 large peaches, sliced (about 1 lb, 450 gr)
- 2 tablespoons of coarse sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup of sliced almond
Preparation time: about 15 minutes, baking time 45 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F (175° C). Spray the bottom of your baking pan if necessary. I use a ring shape silicone mold, so no greasing is needed.
2. In large bowl add the eggs, sugar, yogurt, vanilla extract, salt and oil. Beat well.
5. Sprinkle the bottom of the pan with coarse sugar if you are using it, and the almond slices.
Let the cake cool before flip the cake off the pan. Slice and eat! Enjoy :)