Here is the perfect dessert for the upcoming holidays!
Homemade rustic crostata with sweet and juicy apples, a dash of cinnamon, over a buttery and flaky crust.
Now, let's talk dessert. And not just any dessert, but something easy, elegant and deliciously tasty. Something that you will be proud to bring at your dinner table these upcoming holidays. Something that everyone will love, and will hunt you for the recipe.
So how about this homemade crostata?!? Made with sweet and juicy apple slices, sprinkled with cinnamon and drizzled with lemon juice, over a buttery and flaky pie crust. There is nothing more I need to add ... Or wait! Think about a just-out-of-the-oven slice of this heavenly dessert, served warm next to a melting scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Now I've said enough!
I can assure you that every bite of this dessert will be followed by lots of "mmmmm" little noises. Well, if you are sitting next to me, you'd hear that for sure :)
It's apple season right now, so why not take advantage of it? Because, let's face it, your dessert can only be as good as the apples that you are using! You can now find delicious apples. McIntosh and Pink Lady are some of my favorite, but also Granny Smith and Golden Delicious (easier to find all year round). Sweet, perfectly tart, juicy and oh-so flavorful.
What makes this recipe a winner is how easy, delicious and elegant it is. A beautiful and impressive looking rustic tart, as delicious as a traditional apple pie, just easier and quicker to prepare. I made it from scratch, without using a food processor or a mixer. You are welcome to use these gadgets, and it will make the job a little faster for you. Everything you will need for this recipe is already in your kitchen. So, let's bake!!
Here is a video recipe for you:
Ingredients: to make a 10 inch (25 cm) tart, serves about 8
- 1 and 2/3 cups (250 gr) of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (50 gr) of corn meal
- 3 tablespoons (45 gr) of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- grated zest of one lemon (organic)
- 1 and 1/2 sticks (6 oz, 170 gr) of unsalted butter, chilled
- about 6 tablespoons (85 ml ) of chilled water
- 1/4 cup (50 gr) sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus a bit to sprinkle on top (optional)
- 3 large apples, about 1.5 lb (680 gr) - I used McIntosh but you can also use Pink Lady, Granny Smith or your favorite.
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, about the juice of one medium lemon
- 3 tablespoons of butter, melted
- 1 beaten egg, for glaze (or milk if you prefer)
- sugar crystals for decoration
1. Let's start by preparing the crust. Combine the flour, the cornmeal, the sugar, salt and lemon zest in a large bowl.
10. Bake at 400º F (205º C) for about 40 minutes until golden on top. Let the crostata cool a little bit before cutting. Serve at room temperature, or warm ... and how about with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream?!