Make your meal memorable with
This is definitely not one of my quick dinner recipes, but the good thing is that you can prepare it with a little advance, and bake it at the last minute. You can use any variety of mushroom. Just pick the one that you prefer or you can find at the market. I like to use taleggio, or robiola. These are both semi-soft cheeses with a bold aroma and a sweet flavor.
I made these crespelle lots of times, and they are always a big hit. Now, you too can make your dinner a memorable meal. Here is the recipe.
Ingredients: serving 4
For the crepes:
- 1 and 1/4 cups (180 gr) all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 10 oz (300 ml) of whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
For the filling:
- 2 oz (58 gr) plus 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) whole milk
- 1/3 cup (50 gr) all purpose flour
- 14 oz (400 gr) of mushrooms, clean and cut in pieces
- 2 tablespoons of fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3.5 oz (100 gr) of taleggio or robiola cheese
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Let's start by preparing the crepes. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour and salt with about half of the milk. When combined, stir in the eggs until smooth. Gradually add the rest of the milk, stirring until smooth once more.
2: Heat a frying pan ( I used a 8 inches bottom pan), slightly oiled, over medium-high heat. Scoop some batter (about 1/3 of a cup with my size pan), enough to cover the bottom of the pan, tilting it to cover the bottom evenly. Cook the crepes about 1 to 2 minutes on each side, until slightly golden. Help yourself with fork or a spatula to flip the crepe.... after the first few you will master this technique!
3: In a separate skillet, cook the mushrooms with olive oil, garlic, chopped parsley and a bit of salt for about 10 minutes.
4: Prepare the besciamella (white sauce), using 4 oz of butter, 2 cups of milk, 1/3 cup of flour and about 1/2 teaspoon of salt, following this recipe.
5: Mix the mushrooms with the besciamella, and the taleggio cheese cut in cubes, so that it melts quickly.
6: Spread some of the creamy mushroom onto each crepe, covering about half of the crepe. Fold in half (if small) or in 4 (if large) and place in a oven pan (slightly buttered on the bottom). Do the same with all the crepes.
7: Pour the rest of the creamy mushrooms on top of the crepes. Sprinkle with small pieces of butter and the Parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees right before serving!