These carved-out zucchinis filled with a savory ground meat stuffing are the perfect, fun and wholesome twist to your regular baked zucchini. Very tasty and definitely one of my favorite.
This recipe is fancy enough to serve as a side dish on a special event. Yet so comforting and easy to make for any weeknight dinner, maybe next to a couple of slices of warm bread and a big healthy salad. And they are also great for the kids, especially if you have one of those picky veggie eaters. You can now "hide" the vegetables and turn them into cute, green little boats.
I simply love zucchinis. They are quite versatile, relatively inexpensive and available year round, at least in my little corner of the world. With their low-caloric intake and high values of potassium, folate and vitamin A, these healthy gifts of nature are one of those things that I buy on the regular
... just like ice-cream and chocolate ;)
But who wants plain baked zucchini when you can have these?!? Steamy hot, flavorful and fancy zucchini.The delicate flavor of this veggie goes perfectly with the savory stuffing, made with a mix of ground meat, eggs, grated Parmesan cheese, fresh chopped parsley, bread crumbs, and of course garlic if you wish.
Note, you can be prepared this recipe head of time, and warm it in the oven at the last minute. Left overs are always welcomed! Here is the recipe.
- 4 large zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 pound (300 gr) of ground beef (or ground pork, or a mix of the two)
- 4 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup (30 gr) plus one tablespoon of plain breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons of fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
- salt and pepper (1 teaspoon of salt)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 º F (175º C). Cut the zucchini in half, lengthwise.
3. Place the zucchini halves in a baking pan, sprinkle with salt, and fill with the stuffing.
4. Sprinkle with one tablespoon of breadcrumbs, one of Parmesan cheese and drizzle with olive oil.