Make your Sunday brunch extra special with
these bread cups filled with smoked salmon, oven-roasted asparagus and perfectly soft eggs.It's Friiiiday!!!! And I have a lavish and comforting treat in store for you today. Something that hopefully will make your weekend brunch amazing.
Can't get any better than this!
Can't get any better than this!
Who wants plain fried eggs with flat toast on the side, when you can have a warm, buttery, crispy-at-the-edges bread cup filled with a perfectly soft and runny baked egg?!? And that's not all. Inside these cups, you'll find something so delicious that will make your tastebuds as excited as mine. Surprise, surprise ... a thin slice of savory smoked salmon (yummmmm), together with a touch of delicate crème fraîche, all surrounded by crispy and flavorful asparagus spears. Sounds amazing, right?!?
These cute cups are so elegant, tasty and satisfying that you don't really have to wait for Sunday to bake them. You can wow your guests at your next party, or treat yourself with a fun and light dinner any day. I'm a big fan of breakfast food for supper. And why not, when it's this scrumptious, quick and easy to make.
I made them the other night and my boys absolutely loved them.
Remember the bread cups I made before with egg, pancetta and cheese. I'm sure you do.
My mouth is watering too, just thinking about that crispy bacon around the edge.
This recipe is as easy and as quick, with just a bit healthier choice of ingredients. I used whole wheat bread, but you are welcome to substitute with white or your favorite. And you can skip the butter on the bread, if you are counting calories. It does add a bit of flavor and crispiness to the bread, but you can do without.
Note: if you like the bread a little crunchier, bake for a few minutes in the muffin cups before stuffing with the rest of the ingredients. Check out my short video recipe here:
- 18 thin asparagus spears about 4 oz (110 gr)
- 6 slices of whole wheat bread (or your favorite)
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter (optional)
- 3 slices of smoked salmon cut in half (six pieces)
- 6 teaspoons of crème fraîche (or sour cream)
- 6 small or medium eggs
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
Preparation time: 45 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F (175°C). Remove the bottom part of the asparagus by snapping with your hands the end part, as close to the bottom as possible. Cut in three equal lengths, about 2 to 2.5 inches each (5 - 6 cm). Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet, covered with parchment paper. Salt to taste and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for about 8 minutes.
3. Tuck the bread in muffin cups. Divide the smoked salmon in six parts, and place one piece at the bottom of each cup.Add one teaspoon of crème fraîche, and about 9 pieces of asparagus in each cup around the edges, so that they stick out a bit.
4. Break an egg in each cup, carefully trying not to break the yolk. If you are using large egg, it might not fit into the cup. If that' the case, you might have to throw away some of the egg white. Salt to taste and sprinkle with pepper.
Let cool for a couple of minutes, carefully run a blade of knife around the edges, and remove from the cup.