Healthy, fresh and easy to make. This rice salad is just what you need for these hot summer days
It's so hot today, I cannot believe it! I went for my run this morning and thought I was going to melt on my way back. Really!! The forecast says we'll have a high of 95 degrees for today and tomorrow (that's about 35 degree Celsius). And for those of you who don't know me, I'm in Southern California near the ocean, with an average temperature of about 70 degree all year long. Breezy and cool, and not extremely hot.
With this unexpected heat wave, I don't feel like baking or cooking very much. So here is one of my favorite dishes for these occasions. It's fresh, wholesome, light and easy to make.
This dish can be prepared a day before and can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days. It's perfect for a picnic or a barbecue. For a light dinner or to take along with you at work or school for a healthy lunch.
You can really make rice salad with many different ingredients. That's what I like about it so much. Change it up every time and make it fun. Today, I've prepared it with mixed pickled veggies, marinated artichoke hearts, olives, fresh mozzarella and hard boiled eggs. And of course, you need a drizzle of tasty olive oil and a sprinkle of chopped fresh basil. Sounds perfect, right?
Here is the video recipe for you.
Note, the quantities of the ingredients added to the rice are just to give you an idea of what I did. But feel free to add or change anything as you prefer!
Ingredients: serving about 4
- 1 1/2 cups (300 gr) rice ( I used long grain)
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup (180 gr) of giardiniera - mixed pickled veggies
- 1/2 cup (75 gr) of marinated artichokes hearts
- 1/4 cup (35 gr) of mixed pitted olives ( I used Greek)
- 6 oz (170 gr) of fresh mozzarella
- a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 leaves of fresh basil
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Simmer the rice, as directed. it should take about 15 minutes.
2. In a separate small pan, hard boil three eggs: place the eggs in the pan, cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil over medium heat. When the water starts to boil, lower the flame to the minimum and let cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, run under cold water and peel.
4. When the rice is ready, drain and run quickly under cold water to cool it down. Drain well and add to the bowl with veggies.
5. Drizzle with a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
6. Cut in pieces the boiled egg and salt to taste.
7. Add the eggs, mozzarella cut in small cubes, and the basil cut in smaller pieces to the rice.
Mix well. And adjust with olive oil if necessary.
Serve at room temperature or store in the refrigerator up to two days.