Perfectly gooey, chocolaty and nutty rice krispies hearts with Nutella and crushed hazelnuts.
Great snack idea for your kids' Valentine's day party!
As you can see, today I have one more heart shaped dessert for you.
After my two other recipes this week, the pear and ricotta cheese mini cakes and the meringue cups, I can now say I made full use of my no-longer-new silicone molds. If you don't have heart shaped muffin cups, you can always use regular round ones. But, as you might know, food looks and tastes so much better in a heart shape.
These rice krispies treats are perfect for your Valentine's day party, especially for the kids. They come in a cute size, that can also be easily packed and made into great valentines for the children. And they are really easy and quick to prepare. With the addition of nutella and hazelnuts, this simple snack becomes a delicious homemade goodness: perfectly gooey, crispy, nutty and chocolaty.
Then, for all Nutella lovers out there (and I know there's a lot of us!), why not drizzle, spread or dip the rice krispies with more nutella?!?
It's for Valentine's day after all, and nothing says "love" as much as chocolate.
Ingredients: to make about 10 cups
- 3 cups (90 gr) of rice krispies cereal
- 1/2 cup (65 gr) of crushed, roasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (115 gr) of Nutella, or other chocolate spread
- 3 cups (150 gr) of mini marshmallows
1. Crush the roasted hazelnuts and place the rice krispies cereal in a bowl, so these ingredients are ready. In a microwave safe large bowl, place the marshmallows, nutella and butter. The bowl needs to be large enough, because the marshmallows in the microwave will inflate, and you don't want them to spill all over.
2. Microwave for 60 seconds. Check and mix. You will probably need another 30 to 40 seconds in the microwave to melt completely the ingredients.
3. Add the rice krispies cereal and the crushed hazelnuts and mix quickly, until well coated.
4. Spoon the mixture evenly into heart shaped muffin cups, it should fill about 10 (mine are 2.5 x 2.5 in). As soon as the mixture cools down a bit, press it down to pack, and shape into a heart.
5. Let cool down for about 5 minutes, remove from the molds, and flip (the bottom should look better than the top!). If you'd like, you can serve by drizzling with melted chocolate, or melted nutella right before eating. Store in an air tight container.