Hearty, fork-tender veal stew with potatoes and other veggies.
This recipe is easy and approachable for everyone. It's made using few, simple, wholesome ingredients. No crazy ingredients or too many spices. Just the mouth-watering aroma of the rosemary makes this stew fragrant and delicious.
Ingredients: serving 4
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 4-5 sage leaves
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1.5 lb (680 gr) of veal (2 shoulder chops)
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 qt (950 ml) vegetable broth (I used Trader Joe's organic, low sodium)
- 3 medium potatoes, about 1 lb (450 gr)
1. In a large pan, saute' the chopped onion and carrot, with the olive oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Add the rosemary and the sage.
2. Add the meat cut in pieces to the pan and cook for a few minutes, turning the meat around until most of the pink is gone.
3. Stir in the flour, and add the broth. As soon as the broth starts to boil, reduce the flame to medium-low, cover the pan and cook for about one hour. Check and stir once in a while.
4. Peel and cut the potatoes in cubes and add to the pan. Cook for about 30 minutes covered, or until the potatoes are soft. Add more broth or water if necessary. Salt to taste.